The estate of Cambo was first occupied by John De Cambo who, it is
thought, received it as a Norman land grant from the King in the 12th or
13th century. It was acquired by the Lindsays at some point and then
sold to Thomas Merton in 1620.
In 1668, Sir Charles Erskine, Bt (d. 1677), the Lord Lyon King of Arms and brother of the 3rd Earl of Kellie, purchased the property from the creditors of Patrick Merton. The estate passed through the Erskine family to the 5th Earl of Kellie, who forfeited his lands after supporting the Jacobite rising of 1745. In 1759 Cambo was sold to the Charteris family, who bought it for their son who was studying at St Andrews University.
Thomas Erskine, 9th Earl of Kellie (c. 1745–1828), bought the estate back in the 1790s. A successful merchant in Sweden, he invested heavily in improving the estate, building the picturesque Georgian estate farms, and carrying out extensive land drainage. He commissioned the architect Robert Balfour to remodel the house in 1795. His descendants continued the improvement of the estate through the 19th century, laying out ornamental gardens, with a series of early cast iron bridges.
The 9th Earl of Kellie, Thomas Erskine, who was a cousin of the previous owners, bought the estate back from Mr Charteris when he returned from a successful business career in Sweden.
The Earl invested heavily in the estate and it is suspected that he is responsible for many of the handsome Georgian farmhouses with fanlights over their doors, the pantiled cattle buildings, the construction of the dykes and “condies” (streams buried in stone built channels) and Cambo Farm mill pond. One of these condies you can see, exposed as a water feature running just beside the 16th & 18th green of Kingsbarns Golf Links.
The 9th Earl was married but had no heirs
through his wife. However prior to his marriage he had a daughter, Anna
Eglehart. He and his wife adopted all his daughter’s children and the
eldest one of them became the first baronet of Cambo in 1821 as he was
unable to get the knighthood transferred being illegitimate. Both the
second and first baronets of Cambo were clearly keen golfers and captains of the Royal & Ancient golf club in St Andrews. Kingsbarns Golf Links clubhouse has their portraits hanging in the lobby.
The original house was destroyed by a fire in July 1878 after a particularly raucous staff party when the family was away. After 5 different designs of what could be built from the remains, architects Wardrop & Reid recommended the remains be knocked down and an entirely new design was suggested. The only instruction from their employer was to ensure that the house was bigger than Balbirnie, the family house of the Erskine's friends, the Balfours.
From around 1918 to 1945 the estate was run by the remarkable Sir Thomas. So brave he’d “fight his own shadow” and so fearsome employees and children would stay well away. He would patrol the estate on horseback and break poachers guns before them. A prolific woodworker, Sir Thomas would single-handedly fell and process mature trees from around the estate for his prolific production of carts, furniture and boats.
Struan’s grandfather, David, succeeded after WW2 and came back from the Far East to run the estate which he did very successfully until handing it over to Peter in 1976.
Sir David and Lady Erskine had started letting parts of the house in the late 1940s and during the 50s and 60s had many tenants often associated with the university. Increasingly apartments were let to students from September to June with holidaymakers in July and August.
This is how it was when Sir Peter and Lady Catherine Erskine inherited the estate in 1976. By the mid 1990s letting to students had ceased and serious investment in upgrading the apartments took place before the Cambo of today was born.
Peter and Catherine have worked tirelessly to make Cambo house not just a successful accommodation business but to turn the estate into a community hub with the foundation of the Cambo Heritage Trust charity and subsequent stables renovation into a first class visitor attraction with inclusivity and education as it's guiding principles.
Peter and Catherine’s eldest son Struan and his wife Frances were married in 2012 and moved back to the estate to take the reins at the start of 2015. In 2016 they began to build Cambo House's reputation as an unrivaled venue. They ran the entire estate until 2020 whereupon Struan's brother James joined the team.
James took up the position as estate manager allowing Struan & Frances to focus on developing the Cambo House weddings and accoms business. James is currently developing a sustainable and socially conscious strategy for the future of the estate.